Skip to main content
Internet Archive's 25th Anniversary Logo

Full text of "Manual of the First Presbyterian Church of Indianapolis, together with a history of the same, from its organization in July, 1823, to November 12, 1876"

See other formats



Ijlli II III mill II nil mill ii in in i 

3 1833 01292 7775 


1823. 1878. 

AXD ' 









Organization in July, 1823, to November 12, 1876, 








Behold! I have graven thee upon the palms of my 
hands; thy walls are continuallv before me. — Isaial, 
xlix: 16. ' 

THE history of this church has its origin at a 
period only aViout two years later than the organ- 
ization of the town itself. The Legislature, at its ses- 
sion in January, 1^20, appointed a Commission of ten 
persons to select a site for the capital of the State. 
Only five accepted the trust. These gentlemen, after 
examining various localities, finally settled upon two, 
one of which they agreed should be their final choice. 
These were the mouth of Fall Creek, and the Bluft"s 
of White River. After thorough examination of both, 
and abundant discussion of the advantages afforded 
by each, they proceeded to determine the question by 
vote, when the present locality was chosen by a major- 
ity of one. The Legislature, at its session in January, 
ls21, confirmed the choice of the commissioners, and 
at the suggestion of the late Judge Sullivan, of Madi- 
son, one ot the committee appointed to draw up the 
Bill of Coniirmation, conferred upon the infant cajiital 
its euphonious and appropriate name. 

As soon as this important measure was adopted. 


population began to gather in, and amongst the eai'li- 
est settlers were a few Presbyterian families. The first 
sermon from a Presbyterian Minister was preached by 
Rev. Ludwell G. Gaines, a Missionary from Ohio, on the 
21st of August, 1821. The service was in the open air, 
under the shade of a spreading walnut, near the south- 
west corner of Washington and Mississippi .streets. 
The youthful chorister of that service, not long since 
passed away in the person of the venerable and 
esteemed Col. Samuel D. Maxwell. 

Mr. Gaines appears to have spent but one Sabbath 
with the infant settlement, and the next ministerial 
visitor was Rev. David C. Proctor, who came in May, 
1822, as a Missionary of the Connecticut Missionary 
Society. He spent one week here, preaching several 
times, and so far to general acceptance, that measures' 
were taken to secure his services for onedialf the time, 
from the first of October following. During this inter- 
val. Rev. Isaac Reed, a Missionary under the Presby- 
terian Board of Missions, visited the locality and 
preached on several occasions. He was a man of very 
moderate abilities, but of commendable zeal and in- 
dustry in the Master's work. He was much addicted 
to publishing narratives of his tours and other autobi- 
ographical matter, and left two or three small volumes 
of such literature. 

On the first of October, Mr. Proetor returned in 
pursuance of the engagement made with him in the 
previous May, which, liowever, was modified so as to 
secure three-fourths of his time, in consideration of 


which, he was to receive 8400, or, it was discreetly pro- 
vided, "so much of it as could be collected."' At the 
expiration of the year thus stipulated for, the congre- 
gation did not desire to retain Mr. Proctor's services 
longer, and he left. Subsequently he married in Vir- 
ginia, and soon after removed to Kentucky, and spent 
the remainder of his life in that State. He died Jan- 
uary 17th, ISTio. 

In his ministry with this infant church, Mr. Proctor 
gave a promise of usefulness that was hardly redeemed 
by his riper years. He was well furnished by educa- 
tion for his work, and at the beginning of his career, 
manifested enthusiasm in it. Becoming possessed of 
a considerable estate, however, by his marriage, the 
care and increase of it divided his time more than 
evenly with the work of the ministry. His preaching 
lost its vitality and force. It does not appear that he 
was ever settled as a pastor, though usually 2:)reaching 
to one or more small churches in his vicinity. He was 
distant and frigid in his manners, and formal in his 
speech : thus failing to add by personal intluence to 
the etfect of his ministrations, and falling below the 
measure of tisefulness that might justly have been ex- 
pected of him. 

During Mr. Proctor's ministry, ettbrts were made to 
secure a house of worship. A subscription was set on 
foot and $1,200 pledged to the object. A frame build- 
ing, hfty-four feet by thirty-four was erected on part 
of the spot now covered by the " Talbott Block,'' on 
North Pennsylvania street. The building was begun 


in May, (1823,) and so far completed as to permit of 
public worship being held in it on the fii'st Sabbath of 
the following July. The building committee consisted 
of Dr. Isaac Coe, James Blake and Daniel Yandes — 
the last still living, a hale and active octogenarian. 
The committee discharged their trust vigorously, but 
found that the amount subscribed would be deticient 
several hundred dollars. But the wit of pioneers be- 
comes sharpened by exigencies, and the committee was 
equal to this emergency. Dr. Coe and Mr. Blake car- 
ried forward the work to completion, the carpenters 
agreeing to take their orders on Mr. Nicholas McCarty, 
the only merchant in the village, for goods, and Mr. 
McCarty generously agreeing to honor such orders and 
wait the convenience of the committee for payment. 
The inconvenience growing out of the scarcity of 
money was thus overcome, and a neat and convenient 
house of worship, suited to the day and to the people, 
was erected and completed. The cost of the building 
and the ground was $1,600. 

Hitherto mention has been made of the material 
fabric only. The })olicy of these sturdy Iniilders of 
"the church in the wilderness," was different from 
that most generally adopted. It is common first to 
organize the body of lielievers into a church, and then 
to erect for it, with such expedition as may be. the 
material and local habitation. The founders of this 
church adopted the opposite course, and built a house 
for God, before thel"e was a chvirch to occupy it. They 
were not, however, any less diligent in the com}>letion 


than in the inception of their plan. On Saturday, 
July oth, 1>23, a chtn-ch organization was effected, 
eight persons presenting letters of dismission from 
other churches, and seven being received on examina 
tion, making the total of the original membership 
fifteen, llev. Mr. Proctor was assisted on this occasion 
by Kev. Isaac Eeed, already mentioned, and by Eev. 
William Martin, who arrived here on that day, being 
on a journey. The organization was effected in the 
celebrated Cafdnet .■>hoi) of Caleb .Scitdder, where, also, 
preaching was held during the summer. Dr. (Joe and 
Mr. .'^cudder were elected elders, and on the fol- 
lowing day, being .'^abV'ath, July Cth, the sacrament 
of the Lord's Supper was administered in the new 
church. <..>n Jttly 7th, the church, by vote, requested 
to be taken under the care of the Presliytery of Loui.s- 
ville. at that time the nearest and most convenient 
one. During the same month a weekly prayer meet- 
ing was begun, and thu,^ the infant church, (its found- 
ers having been for a year past active workers in tlie 
Union Sabbatli School.) was fully equipped and fur- 
nished for work in the Master's cause. 

After Mr. Proctor's departure at the close of his 
fir^t 3'ear of service, an invitation was addressed to 
Piev. William Martin, who had assisted at the organi- 
zation of the church, to return, but the letter failed to 
reach him until six months after its date, and the 
church, meanwhile, had sought a minister elsewhere. 
Attention had been drawn to Rev. George Bush, a 
licentiate of the Presbytery of New York, then at 


Morristown, New Jersey. He was invited to visit the 
church, and in coiirpliance therewith, arrived here on 
the Uth of July, 1S24, beai'ing the commission of the 
General Assembly as a Missionary. 

Mr. Bush entered immediately upon his labors, 
which met with such acceptance that in September fol- 
lowing, he was unanimously called to the pastoral 
charge of the church, at a salary of 8400. The church 
had now been transferred to the Presbytery of Salem, 
and Mr. Bush was ordained and installed by a com- 
mittee of that body, on March 5th, 1S25, the service 
being held in the Court House, as the new church was 
at that time receiving some finishing touches. Mr. 
Bush attended the General Assembly of that year as a 
commissioner, and on his return in July, brought his 
wife with him, to whom he had been married in his 
absence from his charge. 

In Novemlter, lS2ri, the Session was enlarged by the 
election to the eldership of Messrs. Ebenezer Sharpe. 
John G. Brown and John Johnston. 

The years 1827 and '2S were a season of severe trial. 
Although Mr. Bush at his ordination, had given full 
assent to the Form of Government of the Presbyterian 
Church, it is not easy to see how he could have done 
so sincerely. It came to light that he had previously 
expressed doubts as to the scripture warrant for that 
system, and soon after his settlement, i'retjuently and 
boldly denounced it from the pulpit as contrary to the 
law of Christ. This gave the Session much concern. 
They remonstrated with the pastor, and being uiiwill- 


ing to proceed to extremities in view of his general ac- 
ceiitableness and ability, thej^ besought him to with- 
hold the exjiression of his views in public ; but to this 
he would not consent. In 'April, 1S27, he was requested 
by the Home Missionary Society to visit the East, for 
the purpose of exhibiting the needs of the West, and 
arousing interest in its behalf. Before leaving he ad- 
dressed an elaborate communication to the Session, in 
which he set forth his views of the scrijiture idea of 
church government. Dr. Coe, in his record of the fact, 
says, "the jjlan thus embodied was not like any system 
on earth," During Mr. Bush's absence, which contin- 
ued until October, a very elaborate correspondence on 
the matter in controversy was maintained between the 
Session and himself, in which the polemic talent of 
Dr, Coe, and the classic pen of Eljenezer Sharpe, did val- 
iant service for the truth. 

Finally, after Mr, Bush's return, the church ap- 
plied to the Presbytery of Wabash, to which it had 
been transferred, for a dissolution of the pastoral rela- 
tion. The Presbytery assembled and dissolved the re- 
lation, Mr, Bush carried the case by complaint to the 
Synod. The Synod ratified the act of the Presbytery. 
Mr. Bush angrily and defiantly avowed his determina- 
tion not to leave the field ; and for nearly a year, still 
claiming to he pastor of this church, he preached in 
the Court House, being sustained by a suliscription of 
non-professors, and members of unevangelical bodies. 
His supporters finally wearied of this burden, and in 
March, 1829, he left for the East and returned no more. 


He never sought another pastoral charge. Several 
years were spent in the Hebrew professorship of the 
University of Xew York, and in the service of the 
American Bible Society, for both whicli positions liis 
great attainments in oriental literature eminently 
fitted him. But finally he gave the strongest possible 
proof of the wisdom of the first Session of this church, 
in obtaining a severance from him, by adopting the 
faith of Swedenborgianism. He held to the vagaries 
of that system until his death, which occurred in 1S59, 
at the age of 63 years. 

With fine talents and large attainments, Mr. Bush 
lacked that balance of mind which insures steadfast- 
ness of purpose ; and by the death of his wife, which 
occurred at an early period in her married life, he was 
deprived of an infiuence that was eminently conserva- 
tive and restraining, in the quarter where he liiost 
needed it. 

In October, 1828. nearly a year before Mr Bush's 
withdrawal, Kev. John R. Moreland, of the Presbytery 
of West Lexington, Kentucky, accepted a Call to the 
vacant pastorate, though no record is found of the date 
of his installation. Pie had enjoyed no early oppor- 
tunities of education, not even learning to read until 
he was eighteen years of age. Several years of liis 
early manhood were sj^ent as a flat-boatman on west- 
ern rivers. Of course he did not enter the ministry 
until comparatively late in life. His preaching, natu- 
rally, was not characterized by polish of diction or the 
graces of oratory, but did abound in a rugged and 

7//.V TOBIL 'A L DISC I 'BSE. 9 ' 

pointed eloquence that was not destitute of inipressive- 
ness and effect. He also by laborious and conscientious 
study, overcame in a great degree, the disadvantage 
of lack of early training, and beside much general 
information, acijuired a very respectable knowledge of 
the original languages of the scriptures. 

The church, while Mr. Bush was preaching in the- 
Court House, had held no services except by occasional 
supplies, and the membership had, to some extent, be- 
come scattered and disheartened. Mr. Moreland gath- 
ered the elements together again, and by the blessing 
of God upon his energetic labors in and out of the pul- 
pit, the church was revived and strengthened. During 
the first eighteen months of liis ministry, sixty persons 
were added to the cliurch, making the total member- 
ship exactly one hundred. His valuaVile labors were 
terminated by death, after a pastorate of less than 
three years, on the 13th of October, 1S32. It was dur- 
ing his ministry that the venerable James Blake, now 
gone to his rest, and James M. Ray, co-workers in the 
vineyard for so many years, united with the church by 
a public profes^ion of faith. 

Rev. William A. Holliday served the church as 
Stated .Supply for two years from February, 1S33, 
During most of the remainder of his life he was a 
worshipper in this congregation. He died December 
16th, L^GT), and by his liberal benefactions to the cause 
of christian education, l>y the memory of his upright 
life, and Christ-like spirit, "he, being dead, yet speak- 


In September, lSo4, Eev. James W. McKennan, of 
Western Pennsylvania, visited tlie church by invita- 
tion, and his labors proving acceptable and useful, he 
was installed as pastor on the 16th of June, 1835. 
When he became a subject of renewing grace, he was 
pursuing the study of law, but from a conviction of 
duty, abandoned further preparation for that jirofes- 
sion, and devoted himself to the ministry. He is de- 
scribed as a man of sincere and eminent piety, of re- 
spectable attainments, not brilliant in his pulpit efforts, 
but sound, instructive and edifying. His connection 
with the church was terminated at his own request, for 
what cause is not recorded, in April, 1830, though at 
the earnest request of the church, he continued to serve 
as Stated Supply until the following (Jctober, when he 
accepted a call to the church of Circleville, (Jhio. Sub- 
sequently, he was settled over several other churches, 
and for several years filled a chair in Washington 
College, Pennsylvania. His laborious and useful life 
was terminated at the age of 57, on the 19th of July, 

During Mr. McKennan's ministry here of al)Out 
five years, one hundred and forty were added to tlie 
church, among whom were some who are still beaiing 
the burden and heat of the day in this same vineyai'd ; 
and yet, when Mr. McKennan resigned his charge, the 
entire membership numbered Init one hundred and 
thirty. Three causes help to account ibr this iact. 
Death had transferred many to tlie church aViove ; a 
.iiumlier of others had removed bevond the bounds of 


this church, and durhig this ministry a number had 
withdrawn to form the first Episcopal cluu'ch organized 
in the town. Their preferences, and the membership 
of some, had previously been with that body ; but as 
long as no church of their first choice existed here, 
they wisely gave thtir aid and intiuence to that organ- 
ization where tliey could be most comfortable and use- 
fttl. And also during the same year, (1837,) that great 
division of the Presbyterian Church occurred, catising 
two branches, known tmtil the happy re-union in ISfiy, 
as the Old and the Xew School. This church, like 
many others, felt the eft'ect of that concussion, and 
fifteen memViers, (eleven males and fotir females,) with- 
drew and formed the organization now known as the 
Second Presbyterian Chiu'ch, the original one from 
that time taking the designation of the First. 

It is gratifying to state that while many similar di- 
visions of churches at that time resulted in bickerings, 
strife and even litigation, nothing of the kind occurred 
here. The .seceding party asked for a jitst and equitable 
division of the church property, and appointed two of 
their number, Messrs. Daniel Yandes and Samuel Mer- 
rill, to represent them in the negotiation. Dr. Isaac 
€oe and Mr. James M. Kay, were appointed a similar 
committee on the }>art of this church. A basis ol 
action was readily agreed tipon, and the transaction 
completed to the sati>faction of both parties, in a fra- 
ternal and christian manner. How good and how 
pleasant it is to be able to say. that from that day to 
this, no root of I'ittei'ness. no envv or uncharitableness 


has sprung up between the venerable mother and the 
hiving daughtei", now herself developed into healthful 
and active maturity. In locality, it has happened that 
they have always been, and are still likely long to 
be, near neighbors. In faith and zeal and efficient 
working for Christ, may they always be found, side by 
side, striving together against the common Enemy, for 
the salvation of souls, and the glory of God. 

From October 1839, the time of Mr. McKennan's 
de2:)arture, until the beginning of the following year, 
the church had no regular supply. In January, ls40, 
Rev. Samttel Fulton, a licentiate, was engaged for the 
period of three months. At the expiration of that 
time he was unanimously called to the pastoral charge, 
but being apprehensive that his health would not en- 
dure this climate, he desired that the Call should not 
be prosecuted. 

In seeking their next pastor, the chttrch made ap- 
plication to the Professors of Princeton Theological 
.Seminary, and asked to Vie recommended to a suitable 
man among the students about to graduate. They 
were put in correspondence with Rev. Phineas D. Gur- 
ley, a licentiate of the Presbytery of North River, New 
York, who was accordingly invited to supply the 
church for the period of six months. Mr. Gurley ac- 
cepted the invitation, and arrived on the ground in 
October, 1S40. When only two months of the term 
had expired, he received a unanimous Call to the jias- 
toral care of the church. It was accepted, and the 
installation took place on December loth, 1S40. This 


relation continued until November, 1849, being a few 
days short of nine years, when it was dissolved at Mr. 
Gurley's request, he having accepted a Call to the First 
Church of Dayton, Ohio. 

It is a notowortliy fact that the fourth pastorate 
was, by a little over six months, the longest that has 
existed in this church to this day, that of Dr. Nixon, 
the seventh, being next. The result of Dr. Gurley's 
ministiy, (that degree being subseijuently conferred 
upon him,) were alike strengthening to the church, and 
creditable to himself. Seasons of revival were repeat- 
edly enjoyed during his ministry, some of the fruits of 
which still continue among us. , 

Dr. Gurley was ranked among the able men of his 
day in our church, though probably very few have had 
less reason to com})lain of being rated below their 
worth. In his preaching he was clear and practical : in 
his utterances solemn and deliberate: and not being 
a specially ready speaker, he was accustomed to write 
his sermons in full, and deliver them from the manu- 
script. His voice, naturally deep and mellow, was im- 
proved by diligent musical cultivotion, and lent its 
charm to the general efi'ect. In his several pastoral 
charges he enjoyed a more than average degree of poji- 
ularity. Beside the merit of his preaching, his social 
manners were afi'able, though always dignified; his 
piety was warm and earnest, and his heart responsive 
to every call of sympathy. These traits made him wel- 
come both to the i)ul|)its of his brethren and the tire- 
sides of his peo}>le. lie was called away in the 


zenith of his power, while filling his third pastoral 
charge, that of the F Street Church, in the city of 
Washington. He died at his home in that city, on the 
30th of .September, 1S6S, at the age of 51. 

In the first year of Dr. Gurley's ministry, it became 
evident that the frame church building on Pennsyl- 
vania street was "too strait" for the congregation, and 
measures were adopted looking to the erection of a 
larger house, and in a more eligible locality. The 
building and lot were transferred to Dr. Isaac Coe, for 
$250 in cash, and lot 14, in block 45, which was 
adopted as the site of the new house, being the North- 
east corner of IMarket- and Circle Streets, now occupied 
by the Printing House of the Indianapolis Journal 
Company. A plan for the proposed church was pre- 
pared by Mr. John Elder, and a Building Committee 
appointed, consisting of Messrs. Coe, Sheets, Blake, 
Blythe and Elder. The house was to be of brick. 
The corner-stone was laid with due ceremony, on the 
7th day of October, liS41, and the building was sol- 
emnly dedicated to the worship and service of Al- 
mighty God, on the 6th day of May, 1S43. The 
sermon was preached by the pastor, a portion of which, 
with the prayer of dedication, is preserved among the 
Records of the Congregation. 

The edifice of which we have been speaking, and 
of the final disposal of which, in 1800^ it will be ap- 
propriate to speak in another place, is hallowed in the 
memory of many of you as the theatre of four succes- 
sive and able pastorates, in each of which the ministry 


of the word was made cftective, not only by the ordi- 
nary, but also by extraordinary manifestations of the 
power of God's Spirit, in the renewing of his people^ 
and the conversion of sinners. 

At Dr. Gurley's resignation, the .Session consisted of 
the following elders : Dr. Isaac Coe, Caleb Scudder; 
John Johnston, James Blake, James M. Bay and 
Samuel Bigger, the last of whom was elected while 
Governor of the State 

Rev. Charles S. Mills, Principal of a Female .Semi- 
nary in the town, supplied the pulpit with acceptance, 
from November, 1849, until September of the following 

The Session having become weakened by the re- 
moval of several of its members, Messrs. Charles Ax- 
tell, (who subsequently entered the ministry,) Horatio 
C. ^Newcomb and Thoma> H. Sharpe, were, on Febru- 
ary 27th, 1S5U, elected elders, Mr. Axtell, however, 
having been previously ordained to the office in 
another congregation. 

In September, ISol, while the church was still des- 
titute of a pastor, twenty-one members, including 
elders Scudder, Blake and Xewcomb, requested letters 
of dismission, for the purpose of organizing another 
church. The reijue>t was granted, and the organiza- 
tion soon after effected l)y a Committee of the Presby- 
tery of Muncie. Twenty additional members with- 
drew soon after to aid the new organization. This was 
the origin of the Third Presbyterian Church of In- 
dianapolis, which has now just completed the 25th 


year of its existence. The many tokens of the Divine 
favor it has enjoyed, and tlie prosperity and usefulness 
it has attained show conclusively that it was founded 
in accordance with the will of God ; and in a probable 
new locality, an enlarged sphere of active usefulness 
seems to be opening before it. 

In the fall of the same year, (1851,) a Call to the 
pastoral . charge was addressed to Rev. John A. Mc- 
Clung, of the Presbytery of Ebenezer, Kentucky, which 
was accepted, and the installation effected on the last 
day of the year. Dr. McClung's ministry of nearly 
four years, (he received the degree of Doctor of Divin- 
ity after leaving this charge,) resulted in a large in- 
crease to the membership of the church, and uniformly 
drew to it the strangers in the city, and very fre- 
quently the prominent and resident members of the 
bar, connected with other congregations, or with none. 
The iSession was also enlarged during his ministry by 
the election of the late William Sheets, and Thomas 
Maclntire, in 1854 ; the latter having been ordained to 
the office in Columbus, Oliio. 

Dr. McClung exists in the memory of many of you 
as a character marked by strong and notable traits. 
The present occasion admits of nothing more than 
the merest outline of his remarkable and eventful life. 
He was converted at the age of 16, while absent from 
home at school, and from a deep conviction of duty, 
soon resolved on devoting his life to the service of 
God in the ministry. Accordingly, he entered the 


Theological Seminary at Princeton, at the age of 18; 
but ill health, growing out of injudicious medical treat- 
ment during a severe illness while at scliool, compelled 
him to withdraw after an attendance of eighteen 
months. He pursued his .■studies however in private, 
as his health permitted, and in l!S2S, was licensed by 
the Presbytery of Ebenezer. He at once took high 
rank as a preacher, and the stronge>t hopes were en- 
tertained of his usefulness and success. But these 
hopes were soon Vilighted. In his extensive reading he 
included some infidel works, and finding himself un- 
able to an.swer some of Gibbon's arguments, and not 
taking into account his own youthfulness, and com- 
jjaratively small mental discipline, he imbibed douVjts of 
the genuineness and authenticity of the Scriptures. 
With his characteristic candor, he laid the matter be- 
fore the Presbytery, and asked leave to surrender his 
license. The Presbytery could not refuse the request, 
btit treated the case with all possible gentleness, espe- 
cially luider the advice of a venerable member, who 
declared his conviction that Mr. Mc<_'lung would yet 
see his error, and return. He now directed his atten- 
tion to the study of law, and in due time entered upon 
the practice of that prol'ession, in the city of jMaysville, 
Kentucky, where he pursued it for fifteen years. 
During that period he attained a prominent rank 
among the ablest advocates in the State, and also ren- 
dered valuable service in the Legislature, filling the 
Speaker's chair during four several terms. 


But during this period of mental activity and grow- 
ing reputation, his mind was not at ease as to the 
claims of Christianity upon him. He had never been 
an iniidel in the broad sense. He had never wholly 
ceased enquiry as to the divine origin of Christianity, 
and finding nothing in the works of infidels conclusive 
against it, he was through all the years of his legal 
practice, the prey of a harrowing anxiety and doubt. 
But he never lost his respect for religion, nor failed to 
treat and speak of it with reverence. Finally, in 1848, 
Rev. Dr. Grundy, pastor of the church in Maysville, 
while preaching upon one of the points that had for- 
merly disturbed Mr. McClung's faith, was led to draw the 
bow at a venture, and send an arrow that wounded 
this strong man between the joints of the harness. 
Not so, however, as to bring him at once a willing cap- 
tive to the feet of Jesus, but to induce him once more 
to review the grounds upon which he had, long years 
before, surrendered his faith in the scriptures. He felt 
that the habits of investigation he had acquired at the 
bar, with his enlarged resources and increased mental 
discipline, would enable him to pursue such an in- 
vestigation, at least with more satisfaction to himself 
than he had done in earlier life. He also became ac- 
quainted for the first time with a work by an eminent 
Scotch jurist, in which (Gibbon's arguments were an- 
swered, and his mi.s-<iuotations and sophisms exposed. 
Under these circumstances he addressed himself again 
to the great problem before him with all the power of 
his rapid, comprehensive and disciplined mind. The 


labors of his profession compelled him to pursue these 
exhausting studies, for the most part, in the hours 
when nature demanded repose. The "midnight oil' 
illumined them, and not seldom burned on until ex- 
tinguished by the dawn. The struggle was long and 
the conflict terrible. But the result was the inevitable 
one, when a candid and earnest seeker after truth ap- 
plies himself in humility and sincerity, to learn the 
mind of God from his revealed will. His skepticism 
vanished : a light beyond the brightness of the sun 
shone round about him ; the scales fell from his eyes, 
and his prostrated soul put forth the agonizing cry, 
" Lord what wilt thou have me to do?" With the re- 
turn of his early faith, his early convictions of duty 
also retiu'ned, although it was a pecuniary sacrifice of 
no small extent to relinquish the income his profession 
was yielding. But he was not one to count the cost, 
where convictions of duty were concerned. He ap- 
plied to Presbytery for license to preach the gospel. 
He was licensed accordingly, and returned to the work 
of the ministry, with more than his old-time zeal and 
earnestness, first as a temporary supply of one of the 
churches of tlie city of Louisville. His ministrations 
took strong hold of the }iublic mind at once, and at 
the close of that temporary engagement, he accepted 
tlie Call of this cliurch. 

To those of you who were privileged to enjoy his 
ministry, the characteristics of it are freshly borne in 
mind. You remember his plain, direct, colloquial 
style, never obscuring the simplicity of the gospel in the 


vanity of a showy rhetoric, V»ut always presenting tlw 
thoiKjlii, with clearness and force. As he had him- 
self passed through a terriV^le spiritual conflict, his 
discourses, to a great degree, took their complexion 
from it. They were, perhaps imperceptibly on his part, 
largely addressed to the skeptical nrind, and often em- 
bodied an affluence of scripture knowledge of massive 
logic, and fervent appeal that could not fail to shake 
the citadel of unbeliei'. He also delighted in the dis 
covery of correlations between the Old Testament and 
the Xew, and some of his expositions of that kind 
were striking and attractive in the extreme. In the 
winter of 1S54-5, he devoted the Sabbath evening ser- 
vices for several weeks to a course of lectures on the 
prophecy of Daniel, whicli filled the old church to re- 
pletion, and elicited profoinid interest in the commu- 

But failing health compelled him in ISno, to resign 
his charge, to which, after long hesitation, the church 
gave a reluctant assent. A winter in the South, be- 
fore resigning his charge, failed to benefit him. and on 
withdrawing from this church, he resolved to try the 
colvl dry and bracing air of jNIinnesota. That climate 
so far restored him that he felt able after a I'espite of a 
year or two, to I'esunie the ministry, and was unani- 
mously invited to the pastoral charge of the church of 
IMaysville, Kentucky, and was instalknl in .lune. bs57. 
His labors were largely blessed in an increase both of 
the membership and the spirituality of tlie church ; 
;irid the singular compliment was fi'e(|ttcntly )xiid him 


by the ministers of otlier denominations, of ilisjiensing 
with their own Sahbath evening services, that they and 
their congregations miglit enjoy the i)rivilege of hear- 
ing him. 

But after an earnest and faithi\il ministry of two 
years there, liis healtli again became i>recarious, and a 
period of rest and recreation indispensible. He ac- 
cordingly left home on the 3d of August, 1859, and on 
Friday the 5th, arrived at Tonawanda, a village on the 
Niagara River, about nine miles above the Falls, intend- 
ing to spend the Sabbath there. But learning there 
was no Presbyterian church in that village, he started 
on Saturday afternoon, the 6th, to walk to the town of 
Niagara, as is supposed, with a view of spending the 
Sabbath there. Being an exjjert swimmer, and much 
addicted to bathing in cold water, tlie clear broad 
stream beside his path, hel<l out an invitation he could 
not resist. He was a stranger in that locality, and no 
friendly voice was at hand to warn him tliat those still 
waters tlowed with invincible power, as if gathering 
strength for their final plunge. He entered the stream. 
What followed then — whether some physical debility 
paralyzed him, or whether after a vigorous and manly 
struggle witli the mighty current he was finally over- 
come, or what thoughts coursed through his brain 
when a sense of his awful situation Hashed upon him — 
can never be known. This only is known. He was 
swept on and over that fearful cataract, and his bruised 
and larcerated body was, some days after, rescued 
from the whirling eddies miles below, and committed 


to the grave by stranger hands. Not there to rest, 
however; loving friends of his congregation traced out 
his obscure grave, and bore his honored remains to 
tlieir tinal rest, amid the scenes of his youth, and of 
the labors of his latest years. 

Dr. McClung's connection with this church ceased in 
October, 1855, and it was without a pastor, though not 
■without almost regular supplies for the pulpit, until 
December, 1856. In the meantime, Calls had been 
given to two ministers ; one to Kev. Alexander R. 
Thompson, of Staten Island, New York, who intimated 
his acceptance, but felt constrained to withdraw it on 
account of the destruction by tire of his library, manu- 
scripts and most of his personal property. The other 
to Rev. Robert S. Hitchcock, of Baltimore, who filled 
the pulpit several .Sabbaths, but declined the Call. 

In November, 1850, Rev. (now I)r.) Thomas M. Cun- 
ningham, of Carrondolet, Missouri, a minister of the 
Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, having re- 
solved to change his relation, visited us by invitation, 
and spent several Sabbaths. On the 12th of December, 
a unanimous Call was made for his pastoral services, 
which, after some delay, owing to other Calls made to 
him, he accepted, and was installed on the 7th of May, 
1857. He was in the vigor of his manhood, fervid and 
impassioned in his style of preaching, and at times 
profoundly impressive. His ministry was owned of 
Ood, and large accessions were made to the member- 
ship, especialljr from among the young, and for the first 
time the need of a larger house of worship began to 


be perceived and discussed. Dr. Cunningham with- 
drew in May, ISGU, after a service of three years, hav- 
ing accepted a call to the South Church of Chicago. 
Subsequently, he was settled for several years over the 
Alexander Church of Philadelphia, where his labors 
were also greatly blest. He is now the useful and ef- 
ficient pastor of the Central Church of San Francisco. 

During Dr. Cunningham's pastorate, (in 1859,) it 
was deemed exi;>edient to establish a (Terman Presby- 
terian Church. By the aid of a legacy left for benevo- 
lent purposes by Mr. Benjamin J. Blythe, a former 
deacon of the church, a lot was purchased on f^outh 
New Jersey Street, and a neat brick building erected. 
The legacy of Mr. Blythe was supplemented by dona- 
tions from this church, ami the enterprise was set on 
foot even to the installation of a German i>astor, with in- 
dications of permanence and usefulness. It was styled 
the " Fifth Presbyterian Church, German." From causes 
not necessary to specify here, the liopes that were 
formed of the success and usefulness of this enterprise, 
were not realized, and after a trial of about two years, 
it was abandoned, the property sold, and the proceeds 
converted to other benevolent and religious uses. 

Dr. Cunningham's pastorate closed as already 
stated, in May, 1S60, and the church remained vacant 
until the following January, when Eev. J. Howard 
Nixon, of the Presbytery of Newcastle, responded to a 
Call addressed to him in the previous December, and 
entered ujaon his labors. Owing, however, to precarious 
health, he did not fully accej^t the Call until after three 


months' service, and his instalhition took phice on the 
17th of April, ISCil. As a very consideraMe number of 
you enjoyed the i)rivilege of sitting under his ministry, 
it is not necessary to speak of it at length. You re- 
member that his sermons were rich in evangelical 
truth, sound and instructive in their bearing on christian 
doctrine, in their practical relations always fresh and 
appropriate, and the tlioughts clothed in elo<juent 
and impressive language. God's truth as dispensed 
from the lips of this able preacher did not return 
unto him void. The average annual increase of mem- 
bersh*> during his pastorate, was greater than in 
that of any former one ; and as the population of 
the city experienced a very rapid increase also dur- 
ing that period, it is almost certain the membership of 
the church would have been still more enlarged, if 
more sitting room had been available. It was com- 
mon in those days to decline applications for sittings 
because there were none to grant. This state of things 
coiild not be allowed to continue. Accordingly, meas- 
ures that had to some extent been discussed during 
Dr. Cunningham's pastorate, looking to an enlarge- 
ment of the building in Iront, were again brought up 
and after full examination, with plans and estimates 
were decided to be inexpedient. At a congregational 
meeting held on the Kith of March, 18<i3, it was ac- 
cordingly resolved to erect a new house of worship 
upon the same site, enlarging it by purchase of two 
lots adjoining on the north. The plan thus formed 
was, ])ei'haps providentially, delayed in tlie execution, 

ins TO B TCA L DIS( URSE. 25 

by the disturbed state of tlie cotnnumity. growing out 
of the WAV. and by the ra}nd increase in the price oi 
buikling material and labor. After the lapse of one 
year, it was thought practicable to commence active 
operations, and in the meantime it had become appar- 
ent that V)usiness was encroaching upon the " <_'ircle," 
that the current of population was setting northward, 
and that the old site was no longer desirable for the 
same purposes. At a congregational meeting held on 
the 8th of March, 1804, the subject was fully discussed, 
the present site was recommended, and information 
given that it could be purchased for $22,o00. The 
meeting approved the site, and ordered the purchase. 

In the following year the church property was sold 
to the printing and publishing firm of Holloway, Doug- 
lass A" Co., for $1S,UU0, with reservation of the bell, 
pews and furniture, and the privilege of continuing 
occupancy until the first of April, ISt'itV On that day, 
being the Sabbath, Mr. Nixon i^reached a discourse 
embracing the history of the church from its organiza- 
tion to that time. The afternoon was devoted to a 
Sabbath School commemoration. Mr. James M. Ray 
presented a written narrative of that branch of the 
church work from the beginning; the School of the 
Third Clwirch, with its teachers and otticers uniting in 
tlie exercises. In tlie evening a re-union of this and 
the Third Church was held ; the services were of an 
informal character, and several of the older members 
of churches of other denominations took part in them. 

These were the last reliLnous services in the old 


church, and celebrate'l the exodus of the congregation 
from its walls, after an occupancy of twenty-three 
years. The work of demolition was begun on the fol- 
lowing day, and in a very short time not one stone 
was left upon another, of what was, in its day, the 
largest and finest house of worship in the State. 

In tlie meantime, the new chapel, or Lecture Room, 
had been begun and carried forward almost to comple- 
tion. For two Sabbaths the congregation were like 
sheep without a fold, having no place of assemblage, 
but on April 22d, ISGG,* that building was so far com- 
pleted as to admit of occupancy, and on that day the 
congregation assembled within its walls for the first 
time, the Sabbath School, according to the original 
■ plan of the building, meeting in the second story. The 
corner-stone of the main edifice, was laid on July 23d, 
of the same year, with approj»riate ceremonies, in 
which the other Presbyterian pastors took part, and 
also several ministers of the Baptist, Methodist, and 
Lutheran denominations. From that time the build- 
ers' task was carried forward as rapidly as possible, and 
the sacred edifice was formally opened for public wor- 
ship by a sermon from tlie pastor, on December 2yth, 
ISGT.^' For financial reasons, the dedication was de- 
ferred until April 24th, INTO, when anothei' pastor was 
occupying the pulpit; the dedication sermon being 
preached by Rev. Dr. Davidson, of Hamilton, Ohio. 

The building committee to whom this enterprise 

'•■■This (into «;is ;;iviTi incoiri'ctl.v in tlio JIam.m. of ISTn, uiul hIbo iu 
that uf 1S71. 


was entrusted were, Thomas H. Sharpe, Robert Brown- 
ing, Jeremiah McLene, Addison L. Roache, William 
Sheets, James W. Brown, John M. Lord, James M. 
Ray, Thomas Maclntire and James Greene. Mr Thos. 
Y. Wadskeir, of Chicago, was the Architect, and the 
whole cost of buildinir and ground, $104,117.74. 

While the erection of this noble house was in 
progress, it was deemed expedient to establish a Sab- 
bath School in a very needy locality, in the South- 
eastern part of the city. Mr. William E. Craig, a mem- 
ber of the Session, took charge of the enterprise, and 
so great was the success attending it, that veiy soon 
the way was open for the organization of a church. 
Mr. Calvin Fletcher and his associates in the ownership 
of lots in that part of the town, presented two for the. 
site of a building; the estate of Dr. Coe presented 
$500, and the congregation subscribed §2,800, for the 
erection of it, and before our old house was vacated, a 
neat, substantial fiame church had been erected, and 
which it lias since been found necessary to enlarge. 
The organization is now knowri as the Seventh Presby- 
terian Church, with a membership of oUO, and a Sab- 
bath school of 49-';, under the efficient pastoral charge 
of Rev. Charles If. Raymond. When statistics were 
gathered for our Semi-centennial Sabliath School cele- 
bration in 187.;, the school of the Seventh Church was 
found to number o24 scholars, being much the largest 
Presbyterian School in the city, and the largest but one 
of any denomination. 

The health of the pastor. Rev. Mr. Nixon, had be- 


come so much impaired that soon after the completion 
of this house, he asked leave of absence for six months 
for the purpose of a sea-voyage, and a visit to Europe. 
Consent was given, and the pastor left in February, 
ISlJS, the pulpit being ably Hlled in his absence, by 
Rev. 'T. F. Dripps, a licentiate. Mr. Nixon returned 
and resumed his duties on the 11th of October, but 
without the full benefit to his health he had hoped to 
derive irom rest and travel. lie toiled on however, 
with the "thorn" of ill health rankling in his tlesh, 
until February, 1869, when he felt constrained to cease 
pastoral work, and reijuest a dissolution of the relation. 
The church, with great regret, yielded to the necessity, 
and the pastoral relation was dissolved on tlie 14th of 
• April, 1809, having been as already stated, the longest 
of any in the history of this church, except that of 
Dr. Gurley. It is gratifying to be able to state that 
change of climate and several years' cessation for the 
most part from ministerial work have wrought so great 
an improvement in Dr. Nixon's health, (that degree 
having been conferred upon him since leaving here,) 
that he has recently taken the pastoral charge of the 
Central Church, of Wilmington, Delaware. 

During Dr. Nixon's ministry, in 1800, Messrs. Ben- 
jamin Harrison, Myron A. Stowell and William E. 
Craig, were added to the Session ; the last, a native of 
Scotland, has returned, in im|)aired health, to his 
native land. 

( )La' next pastor, was IJev. Robert D. Harper, D. D., 
previously of the United Presbyterian Church, of 


Xenia, Ohio. He was called on the l22cl of April, lSt'i9, 
entered upon his labors here on the l()th of May, and 
was installed on the 19th of October following; so that 
the pul]iit was vacant only about one month. Dr. 
Harper's ministry is so recent, ami so many of the pres- 
ent members of the congregation were among his ap- 
preciative hearers and warm personal friemis, that it i.^ 
not necessary to speak of it at length. It is Mitficient 
to say that he was sound and evangelical in his exposi- 
tions of truth, warmly interested in his work, possessed 
of many of the graces and charms of pulpit oratoi'v. 
and of marked coui'tesy and atfalnlity of demeanor. 
Although no special revival occurred under his ministrv 
it was not fiarren nf results, nor without the visible 
seal of the divine favor. He tendered his resignation 
on February 'l'-k\. b'^71, after a ministry of les.~ than 
two years — the shortest thus far in the history of the 
church — and accepted a Call to the North Broad 
Street Church, of Philadelphia. 

During Dr. Harper s pastorate, a corps of teachers 
from this church assumed the care of a missionary held 
in the North-east part of the city, where the Metho- 
dists had planted a Sabbath School, which they called 
the "."^aw Mill ^fission," but had abandoned it. Under 
the diligent culture of that liand of workers, and with 
generous pecuniary aid atforded by one of the elders 
of this church, the lumible Missionary School has 
grown into the Ninth Presbyterian (Church, with a 
membership of PH, and Salibath School of u87, now 
under the pastoral charge of Kev. L. Faye Walker — 


being the fourth healthful and promising daughter of 
this venerable mother. 

During the same ministry, in the year 1S70, the 
congregation purchased this noble organ, not only a& 
an aid to the songs of the sanctuary, but also as their 
grateful " Memorial" testimony to the favor of God be- 
stowed upon the church at large in the re-union of the 
branches known as the Old and the New School. 

The vacancy left by Dr. Harper's withdrawal in 
February, 1871, continued until June of the same year. 
During that time, the Session was again enlarged by 
the election of Messrs. James W. Brown, Jeremiah 
McLene, Isaac C. Plays, L. B. Walker and Asahel D. 
Benham. These brethren, together with Mr. Robert 
Browning, who was elected to the same othce in No- 
vember previous, were ordained on the '.'th of April, 
1871, by Rev. L. G. Hay. Mr. Hays sul)sequently with- 
drew to the Memorial Church, and Messrs. Walker 
and Benham have removed from the city. 

Rev. Jeremiah P. E. Kumler, ol Evansville, Indiana, 
was called to the pastoral chai'ge in June, 1871. He 
accepted the Call, and entered upon his work on the 
second Sabl)ath of July ; with the consent of the con- 
gregation, however, tliat he should carry out the ar- 
rangements he had made for a summer vacation. He 
returned and resumed his labors on the 12th of August, 
and was formally installed on the first of October ibl- 
lowing. Althougii the time seems long since his de- 
parture, as it has l)een for the -most part a period of 
silent Sabbaths, it has not been long enough to efface 


from your minds, rememhvance of his earnest, devoted 
ministry. He continued with us a few months less than 
four years, but the results of that brief ministry are 
not below the average of his predecessors. In the 
proceedings had when the question of assent to his 
withdrawal came up, the congregation resolved, that 
the contemplated movement on his part was regarded 
with regret and heart-felt sorrow ; that he had en- 
deared himself to the community as well as to the 
church, as a christain teacher, adviser and friend, and 
had, in a pre-eminent degree, illustrated the beauty, 
the power, and the usefulness of an earnest and rug- 
ged christian character ; that as a preacher of evangel- 
ical truth, he had proven himself not only rich in 
Biblical learning, but fruitful in thought and suggestion, 
and above all, most ekxjuently earnest. It is, there- 
fore, not singular that the congregation declined assent 
to Mr. Kumler's request for a dissolution of the pas- 
toral relation, and took measures to hSve that dissent 
most ably and eloquently advocated before the Presby- 
tery. Mr. Kumler's convictions, however, pointed 
in another direction, and the church finally, at a 
subsecjuent meeting of the Presbytery, on the 14th 
of September, ls75. signified their assent, perforce, 
and the relation was dissolved accordingly. Mr. 
Kumler accepted a Call from the Third Presbyterian 
Church of Cincinnati, in which he is still laboring with 
his accustomed zeal and energy. 

A Committee of Supply, as usual, was appointed 
after Mr. Kumler's withdrawal, to search out and re- 


commend a pastor. Their first measure was to hear 
Rev. James H. Brookes, D. D., of St. Louis, and the 
result of their visit was, that in October, 1875, the con- 
gregation gave him a unanimous Call. Circumstances 
in his own charge prevented him from giving a prompt 
and decisive re}»ly, but in December he visited us and 
spent one week of active and appreciated labor, 
preaching or conducting informal services every day 
and evening, in this and other churches. After his 
return home, the congregation Aoted a renewal of the 
Call, which was subsequently enforced by visits from 
some members of the Committee, and extended cor- 
respondence. But the result of the whole was that in 
February of the present year, the Call was answered 
with a final negative. Since that time the Committee 
has diligently discharged its office, but with the sad- 
dening result thus far of not finding a pastor accepta- 
ble to the entire congregation. 

Wliat now*i'emains to be said is chiefly in the way 
of summary ; and first of all, mention shoidd be made 
of the fact that this church, in its very early infancy, 
adopted a plan of systematic contribution to the 
Boards and benevolent operations of the churcli at 
large. And though it is not pretended that it has, 
through all the half century of its existence, done its 
whole duty in that regard, or always given as the Lord 
has prospered it, it may be truthfully asserted that it 
has never lost sight of that duty, nor entirely failed in 
the performance of it, despite the repeated " panics," 
the distractions wrought by war, and the oft recurring 


"hard times" that have marked these decades. It 
would be inteiesting and doubtless encouraging to 
know just how much these contributions to the treas 
ury of the Lord, through all these long years and man- 
ifold changes amount to. But unfortunately the 
requisite data have not been preserved. 

In regard to the Sabbath School Institution, this 
church has an undisputed claim to thp prime agency 
in its introduction into the infant community. Indeed 
before the church was organized, one of its founders 
and first elders, the only man in the settlement who 
had any practical acquaintance with Sabbath Schools 
and their management, had organized and was labor- 
ing in the old " Union .'school," which held its weekly 
gathering — not with the approval of all the settlers — 
in the immortal Cabinet Shop of "Squire" Scudder. 
This was the seed. The fruit we see to-day. And the 
ambition that is sanctified by God's spirit, can ask no 
more honorable memorial than that inscribed on the 
granite monument above Dr. Isaac C'oe's remains in 
Crown Hill, The Foixdek of 1xiii.\n.\poijs SrNn.vY 

As an evidence of the harmony, as well as the ef- 
ficiency with which the Sabbath School work in this 
church has been conducted, it may be mentioned that 
the office of Superintendent in it was for much more 
than half the fifty-three years of its existence, filled by 
one and the same person, Mr. James M. Eay. Others fill- 
ing the office have been Benjamin Harrison, J. Albert 


Vinnedge, Irving Harrison, Asahel M. Benham, Ed- 
ward P. Howe, Elijah B. Martindale, William S. Arm- 
strong and Ebenezer Sliarpe. 

In regard to ministerial service, you have seen that 
the church has enjoyed the labors of nine pastors and 
five Stated Supplies. Of the pastors, four are still 
laboring in other fields, and five have entered into rest. 
Of the Stated Supplies, but two survive. The elder- 
ship has embraced twenty-two members, all of whom 
except four, were ordained and set apart to the otfice 
in this church. (Jf these twenty-two, eight have crossed 
the fiood ; five have removed elsewhere ; one has en- 
tered the ministry, and eight are now rendering ser- 
vice. The deaconship has always been recognized in 
the congregation as an important element of its work- 
ing force, and is at this time filled by acceptable and 
eflicient incumbents. 

The entire membership of the church from the be- 
ginning, numbers 1,305, being an average of twenty- 
four per year, for the fifty-three years of the church's 
existence, and six for each (piarterly communion ; pre- 
cisely what Dr. Nixon, in the historical discourse al- 
ready referred to, stated as the average up to that time. 
Should not this failure of increase admonish us that 
while there remaineth very much land to the be pos- 
sessed, the night cometh in which no man can work ? 

It is a more pleasant refiection that from the com- 
munion of this church, eight persons have entereil the 
ministry. They are Kev. James S. Kemper, Kev. 
Henry T. Coe, Kev. J. Oooley Fletcher, Rev. L. G. Hay, 


Rev. William W. Sickels, Eev. Edward C. Sickels, Rev. 
William A. Holliday and Rev. John Dixon. 

It is a fact strikinglj' peculiar to the history of this 
congregation, that for the last twenty-tive years, a con- 
siderable number of ministers of the gospel, not en- 
gaged in the work, have been connected with it. How 
far this has added to the moral strength of the church, 
is a question not now entered upon. 

I have thus, brethren, perhaps with too much min- 
uteness of detail, laid before you the history of this 
church from the day of its birth to this fifty-fourth 
year of its existence. To some of you it is the church 
of your fathers ; to all of you, it is the church of your 
adoption and choice, and doubtless the object of your 
hearts' best and warmest affections. The time does 
not admit of an attempt to set out tlie lessons taught 
by this half century's history, nor is the speaker the 
person to adduce and enforce the duties growing out 
of the present juncture in your church affairs. Let 
me only remind you that the exigency which environs 
her, demands that all the true friends of the church 
rally to her aid. You are not satisfied that the sacri- 
ficial fire should be so seldom kindled upon this altar. 
You are not satisfied that so many Sabbaths should 
come and go, and no sound of prayer and praise and 
christian teaching, break the dismal silence within 
these walls. You deplore that this flock should be 
scattered simply because there is no shejaherd to lead 
it in green pastures, and beside still waters. You can 
not believe that this church, much as it has done, 


has accomplished its full mission, or fully suLserved 
the purpose of its Great Head. What then is the duty 
of the hour? Is it not that you manifest your sym- 
pathy with the Lord Jesus in the great purpose of his 
death, by increased activity in christian work, thus 
repairing as far as you may, the damage that results 
from a vacant pulpit? And seeing that God only 
waits for his people to attain a proper attitude before 
bestowing his blessing, what searchings of heart should 
there be, what fervent, constant prayer ascending from 
every household and every heart, until he return and 
repair these wastes of Zion, and pour down all the 
fullness of his blessing upon her I 

And the blessing will come. God loves this church 
more than you can possibly do. He has graven her 
upon the palms of his hands : her walls are continually 
before him. Therefore, he will give her protracted life, 
and growth and prosperity. H' not by our instrumen- 
tality, by that of others. Her coming half century 
will be more glorious than the first. In place of the 
fathers shall be the children, and when she celebrates 
her first centennial, and we are slumbering in the dust, 
and our names forgotten, doubtless she will have an 
experience to look back upon, of unmingled mercy, of 
enlariied usefulness and abundant blessinc. 

Record of Pastors and Stated Supplies. 

Rev. David C. Proctor, Stated Supply, from October 
], 1822, to October 1, 1823; died January 17, 1865. 

Rev. George Bush, Pastor, installed May 5, 1825, 
relation dissolved June 22, 1828 ; died in 1S59. 

Rev. John R. Moreland, P., called October 27, 1828, 
resigned May 15, 1832; died (Jctober 13, 1832. 

Rev. William A. Hollihay, S. S., served two years, 
from February 1S33; died December 10, 18(36. 

Rev. James W. McKenxak, P., installed June 16, 
1835, resigned April, 183'.t ; died July 19, 1861. 

Rev. Samuei- Fultox, S. S., served from January to 
April, 1840. 

Rev. Phineas D. Gurley, P., installed December 15, 
1840, resigned November 28, 1849 ; died September 30, 

Rev. Charles S. Mills, S. S., served from November, 
1849, to September, 1850. 

Rev. Johx A. McCluxi;, P., installed December 31, 
1851, resigned September 29, 1855 ; died August 6, 1859. 

Rev. Thomas M Cuxxix(iHAM, P., installed May 7, 
1857, resigned May, 1860. 


Eev. J. Howard Nixox, P., installed April 17, 1861, 
resigned April 14, ISG'J. 

Rev J. F. Dripps, temporary supply from May to 
October, 1868, during pastor's absence in Europe. 

Rev. Robert D. Harper, D.D., P., installed October 
19, 1869, resigned February 23, 1871. 

Rev. Jeremiah P. E. Ivumler, P., installed October 1, 
1871, resigned September 14 1875. 

Rev. Myrox W. Reed, P., installed October 4, 1877. 

Record of Elders. 

Isaac Coe, M. P., elected July •>, 1S"2?), dismissed 
May 10, 185;; ; died July oO, 1S55. 

Cat, El! SccDDEK, elected July 5, 1823, dismi:~sed iSep- 
tember 23, 1859. 

EuENEZEK Shaute, elected February 18, 1827, died 
August 1, 1S35. 

John Johnston, elected FeViruary 18, 18ii7. dismissed 
to Wasliingtou Cliurch, ]\Iariou county. Indiana. 

JdiiN G. Brown, elected February 18, 1827, dit'd May 
13. 1838. 

James Blake, elected October 17, 183U, dismissed 
SeptemV)er 23, 1851. 

James M. Eay, elected (October 17, 1830. 

Gov. Sami el Bigcer, elected May ICi, 1842, previously 
ordained to the office, disniissed to First Presbyterian 
Church of Fort Wayne, Indiana. 

George S. Brandon, elected May 16, 1842, previously 
ordained to the office, died August 22, 1847. 

Charles Axtell. elected February 27, 1850, previ- 
ously ordained to the office, and subsequently to the 


Horatio C. Newcomb, elected February 27, 1850, dis- 
missed September 23, 1851. 

Thomas R. SiiARrE, elected February 27, 1850. 

Wi 1,1.1AM Shkets, elected 1853, died March 4, 1872. 

Thomas MacIntire, elected 1853, previously ordained 
to the office. 

Benjamin Harris.ox, elected January 24, 1861. 

Mykox H. Stowei.l, elected October 11, 1866. 

William E. Ckaic, elected October 11, 1866, dismissed 
November 27, 1867. 

Robert Browning, elected November 17, 1870. 

Jeremiah McLene, elected March 7, 1871. 

James W, Brown, elected March 7, 1871 

Isaac C. Hayes, elected March 7, 1871, dismissed 
September 1, 1874. 

Leverett B. Walker, elected March 30, 1871, re- 
moved from the city in 1871, dismissed January 7, 1878. 

AsAHEL M. Bexha.m, elcctcd March 30, 1871, dismissed 
November 3, 1873. 


I. The standards of the Presbyterian Church con- 
sist of the Westminster Confession of Faith, and the 
Larger and Shorter Catechisms. To these all Church 
officers are re(iuired to subscribe, as containing the sys- 
tem of doctrine taught in the Holy Scriptures, and 
these are earnestly recommended to the thoughtful 
and prayerful study of all our members. But from the 
beginning of her history in this country, the Presby- 
terian Church has received to her Communion all those 
who, in the judgment of charity, were true believers in 
Jesus Christ, and who agreed to submit themselves 
peaceably to the rule of the Church, without requiring 
as a condition to Church membership the reception of 
all the doctrines taught in the standards of the Church. 


The qualitications for membership in the Presby- 
terian Church are " knowledge and piety." There 
should be knowledge of the way of salvation, of the 
design of the ordinances of Baptism and the Lord's 
Supper, and of the obligations incurred by a public pro- 
fession of the name of Christ. And there should also 



be a sincere reception of the Lord Jesus, as he is offered 
in the Gospel, and a full consecration of the heart and 
life to his service. It is the duty of all who believe in 
(Jhrist to confess his name liefore men, by receiving 
Baptism, and b^ partaking of the Lord's Supper ; and 
in this there should be no unnecessary delay, since the 
A}>ostle has taught us that with the heart man believeth 
unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is 
made unto salvation. 

Persons are admitted to the Church either by cer- 
tificate from other Churches, or by examination by the 


[Tlie candidates, standing in frunt of the imlpit. will be addressed by 
the pastor as foUows ;] 

Dear Fiukxps: — The Session having already re- 
ceived and enrolled you as niembers of this church, 
you do now publicly enter into covenant with us. 

You have been deeply convinced of your personal 
sinfulness? You have heartily repented thereof? You 
have believed in the forgiving love of Jesus Christ? 
You here dedicate your heart and life to him ? That 
dedication you are about to renew in the presence of 
God and this congregation ? 

You acknowledge God the Father, Son, and Holy 
Spirit — Greater, Redeemer and Sanctifiier of men, to be 
your Gt)d? 

You receive the Scriptures of the Old and New 


Testaments as the word of God, and as tlie rule of 
your faith and life? 

You believe that God so loved the world that he 
gave his Son to die for it ; that Christ appeared in the 
flesh ; that he set forth a jierfect exam}»le of oliedience ; 
the he purely taught the truth needful for our Salva- 
tion ; that he sutFered in our stead, the just for the 
unjust ; that he died to atone for our sins, and to 
purity us therefrom ; and that he rose from the dead 
and ascended into heaven, where he ever liveth to 
make intercession for us ? Therefore, 

Renouncing all dependence upon your own works 
for salvation, you commit yourselves to Christ your 
Savior? Renouncing the dominion of this world, you 
consecrate yourselves to the service of Christ, your 
Lord ? 

You promise to rememlier his words, and to do his 
commandments by living a life of piety toward God, 
and of good-will toward men ? 

You do covenant witli this Church to observe its 
ordinances and to attend diligently its meetings for 
worship ; to submit to its rules and discipline ; to strive 
for its purity and peace, and to work together with us 
for the welfare of our fellowmen ? 


[The I'ougrfgation standing.] 

We, then, members of this Church, do gladly re- 
ceive you. We welcome you to our communion, oia* 
fellowship and- our work. We promise to love you, to 


pray for you, to watch over you, and by all means in 
our power to advance you in the Divine life. Amen. 


1. Religious services are held every Sabl)ath morn- 
ing and evening, at the usual hours of public worship 
in this city. 

2. The Sacrament of the Lord's Supper is adminis- 
tered on the first Sabbath of the months of March, 
June, September and December. 

3. The regular Praykr Meeting is held on Thurs- 
day evening. 

4. The Sabbath School meets regularly every Sab- 
bath afternoon, at half-past two o'clock. Bible classes 
are also held at the same hour. All the children and 
young people of the Church are expected to attend. 
Parents and others are cordially invited to be present, 
either as teachers, or as members of Bible classes. 

5. The Session meets regularly on the first Monday 
evening of each month, to receive applications for 
Church membership, either by letter or by examination. 



Bid;,.,! Elders. 





Acthig iJeacons. 







Finance L'oinrn'itlec. 





Suj^erintendent of Sahballi School. 

AVoman's Foreio'ii MissiiMiary Society. 

The Woman's Foreign Missionary Society was or- 
ganized in IcSTo. Its present Officers are : 
Mrs. Anxe J. Burgess, President; 
Mrs. Mary E. Smart, Vice President ; 
Mrs. E. Louise Reed, Secretary ; 
Miss Gretta Y. Hoeliday, Treasurer. 
It contributes to the Assembly's Board, through the 
Woman's Board of the North-west. 

Its special object is the support of Mrs. Loretta C. 
Van Hook, at Tabriz, Persia. 

Its regular meetings are held on the last Thursday 
of each month. All ladies of the church and congre- 
gation are cordially invited to attend them. 

There is also under its care, a Missiox Band, com- 
jiosed of the children of the Church and Sabbath 
School, which meets in the afternoon of the last Sat- 
urday of each month. 


In addition to the following Eoll, a Hc-'^crvct/ Li.sf is 
kept, embracing the names of such members as have 
removed from the city without Letters of Dismission, 
or whose address has otherwise become lost. 


Ankenny, Miss Sarah 202 East Market. 

Armstrong, Mrs. Keziah P.. .160 Ash. 

Armstrong, Miss Ellie L lt)9 Ash. 

Armstrong, William S 28 Central Avenue. 

Armstrong, Mrs Jennie 2S Central Avenue. 

Anderson, Miss Clara 8 293 North Delaware. 

Applegate, Mrs. Abby 129 North Noble. 

Beidenmeister, Mrs. Sarah. ..26.j East New York. 
Beidenmeister, Miss Mary .1.26.5 East New York. 

Belches, Miss Mary S. C Fortville. 

Benham, Henry L 673 North Delaware. 

Benham, Mrs. Mary S 673 North Delawaie. 

Bobbs, Mrs. Catharine East End Georgia. 


Braden, William Hrand Hotel. 

Braden, Mrs. Martha Grand Hotel. 

Bradshaw, Mrs. Margaret 264 North Tennessee. 

Brown, James W 97 West Vermont. 

Brown, Mrs. Sallie jM Room 1, Vajen's Block. 

Browning, Robert 7(MI North Meridian. 

Browning, Mrs. Margaret S..70() North Meridian. 

Browning, Mrs. Mary South of (_'ity. 

Eoice, Augustin 2lJ9 North Pennsylvania. 

Boice, Mrs. Adele T. J 209 North Pennsylvania. 

Barnes, Thomas F 63] North Mississippi. 

Barnes, Mrs. Elizabeth f)31 North Mississippi. 

Burt, William N S24 East Washington. 

Burt, Mrs. Maggie J 824 East Washington. 

Breckenridge, Josejdi INf Lebanon. 

Burgess, Caleb C 25S Xorth Pennsylvania. 

Burgess, Mrs. Anne J 2oS North Pennsylvania. 

Burgess, Miss Anne Louise.. .258 North Pennsylvania. 

Bryce, Mrs. Mary 13 East South. 

Bates, Ns. Doren 352 North Alabama. 

Bates, Mrs. Florence E 352 North Alabama. 

Brink, Charles H 151 North Hlinois. 

Brink, Mrs. Jessie 151 North Hlinois. 

Browder, Wilbur F 94 Iloyt Avenue. 

Bacon, Hiram Cor. < 'iiftbrd k, Keyst'ne Av. 

Bacon, Mrs. Elizabeth Cor. Clifford k Keyst'ne Av. 

Byers, Frederick 

Byers, Mrs. Julia 


Carlisle, Johu a\Ii]lersville. 

Carlisle, Mrs. Margaret J Millersville. 

Carlisle, Henry D 

Carlisle, Mrs. Jennie A 

Carter, Ceorge 544 North Tennessee. 

Carter, Mrs. Mary Belle 544 North Tennessee. 

Clarke, Mrs. Rachel l!7 Lockerbie. 

Cropsey, Mrs. Ann M S") College Avenue. 

Cropsey, James M So College Avenue. 

Cropsey, Miss Nel)raska S.> College Avenue. 

Culbertson, Mis. Mary E Mli4 ('ollege Avenue. 

Cruft, Miss Sarah R 242 North Alabama. 

Cummins, Mis^: Ilattie B •■j4o North I'ennsylvania, 

Cassiday, Mrs. Mary F 3ll6 North Meridian. 

Craft, Hiram J MJ7 North Alal>ama. 

Craft, Mrs. Lou M S27 North Alabama. 

Cotl'man, Mrs. Susie 

Cox, Thomas "J'l'J Pt-ru. 

Cox, Mrs. Mary 2G9 Peru. 

Cox, Richard 2f)9 Peru. 

Denning, Joseph N ys North Mississippi. 

Doughty, John G 2.'!.} Indiana Avenue. 

Doughty, Mrs. Frances S 'l?t\ Indiana Avenue. 



Dickson, Carlos Grand Hotel. 

Dickson, Mrs. Susan C Grand Hotel. 

Dixon, Hugh 9S North Mississippi. 

Davis, Mrs. Emma E North Tenn. North of 10th. 

Downe^^ John T 130 North Alabama. 

Downey, Mrs. Mary A 130 North Alabama. 

Denny, Caleb S 241 North Alabama. 

Denny, Mrs. Carrie W 241 North Alabama. 

Dollens, Robert W 21) West New York. 

Dollens, Mrs. Nettie 20 West New York. 

Elliott, William J Cor. Tenth and Tennessee. 

Elliott, Mrs. Charlotte < "or. Tenth and Tennessee. 

Espy, Mrs. Margaret E 930 North Tennessee. 

Espy, Miss Kate E TOO North Illinois. 

Elder, Mrs. Amelia E l.iO North New Jersey. 

Elder, William B 150 North New Jersey. 

Elder, Miss Mary J I'.O North New Jersey. 

Evans, Miss Maria J Broad Rii>ple. 

Egan, Mrs. Katie 10") North New Jersey. 

Eddv, Miss Mabel 43(i North 


Foster, Chapin C 7t»2 North Pennsylvania. 

Foster, Mrs. Harriet H 762 North Pennsylvania. 

Fitzhugh, Mrs. Anna 417 College Avenue. 

Fletcher, Albert E 019 North Pennsylvania. 

Fletcher, Mrs. Eliza S 619 North Pennsylvania. 

Foley, Mrs. Susanna North of Crown Hill Cem. 

Foley, William W North of Crown Hill Cem. 

Foley, Miss Emma E North of Crown Hill ('em. 

Fullenwider, John C 308 College Avenue. 

Fullenwicler, Mrs. Mary E...3U8 College Avenue. 

Fullenwider, Miss Lottie 308 College Avenue. 

Finch, Fabius jNI. 247 Park Avenue. 

Finch, Mrs. Nancy A 247 Park Avenue. 

Finch, Miss Alice 247 Park Avenue. 

Gates, John J 33s North New Jersey. 

Greene, Mrs. Mary B 364 North Meridian. 

Greene, Davies M 364 North Meridian. 

George, Henderson 94 Harrison. 

George, Mrs. Amanda 94 Harrison. 

Gillespie, Mrs. Mary R 203 Xoith Pennsylvania. 

Gillesjiie, Miss May Ann D. and I). Institute. 

Graham, J. Kearney ISO North East. 

Gibson, Reuben 427 North Pennsylvania. 

Gibson, Mrs. Nancy 427 North Pennsylvania. 

Gapen. Mrs. Martha... 069 North Delaware. 

Gouldint:, Mrs. <A\rrie "'69 North Delaware. 


Hammond, Upton J 569 North Pennsylvania. 

Hammond, Mis. Lizzie M....569 North Pennsylvania. 

Harbison, Alexander D 146 Ash. 

Harbison, Miss Agnes R 14t'i Ash. 

Harper, John L 328 College Avenue. 

Harper, Miss Sarah E 328 College Avenue. 

Harrison, Alfred 252 North Meridian. 

Harrison Mrs. Lydia D 252 North Meridian. 

Harrison, Mrs. Bectie L. S...1U38 North Illinois. 

Harrison, Miss Mary S 1U3S North Illinois. 

Harris m, Benjamin 674 North Delaware. 

Harrison, Mrs. Carrie S 674 North Delaware. 

Harrison, Russell B 674 North Delaware. 

Hariison, Miss Mary S 674 North Delaware. 

Howland, Charles A 164 Parke Avenue. 

Howland, Mrs. Helen 164 Parke Avenue. 

Howland, Charles R D. and D. Institute. 

Henderson, Mrs. Rachel 710 North Meridian. 

Henry, Miss Pamelia Alice...] 8 East Vermont. 

Ilolliday, Mrs. Lucia S 242 North Alabama. 

Holliday, Miss Gretta Y 242 North Alal)ama. 

Holliday, Francis T 242 North Alabama. 

Holliday, John H 601 North Meridian. 

Holliday, Mrs. Evaline M 6(il North Meridian. 

Holloway, Mrs. Eliza 277 North Delaware. 

Howard, Mrs. Clarissa 92 South Illinois. 

Higgins, Charles J Maine. 

Higgins, Mrs. Sarah E Maine. 

Humphrey, Samuel D 

ITanna, Mrs. Rebecca A 382 North Meridian. 

Ilanna, Mrs. Lizzie B 382 North Meridian. 

Houdyshell, John L D. and D. Institute. 

Hawes, Mrs. Ada Augusta.. .476 North Tennessee. 

Haynes, John R 120 North Meridian. 

TLivnes, Mrs. Marv E 120 North Meridian. ' 


Hussey, •Tohn R 2tU North Tennessee. 

Hussey, Mrs. Mary J 264 North Tennessee. 

Hutchinson, Charles L Pyle House. 

Hamilton, Mrs. Emma Cor. Alabama and Sixth. 

Houston. Mi.-^s Tina 37') North Alabama. 

Herr, Isaac 510 North New Jersey. 

Herr, Mrs. Amelia 51U North New Jersey. 

Irving, Alexander B Hutchinu< Block. 

Irving, Mrs. Mary Hutchings Block. 

Irving, Miss Maggie Ellie Hutchings Block. 

Irving, Cornelius L 92 West Seventh. 

Irving, Mrs. Elizabeth C 92 West Seventh. 

Irving, Miss Fannie Belle.... 92 West Seventh. 



Johnston, Samuel A 345 North Pennsylvania. 

Johnston, Mrs. Estelle 345 North Pennsylvania. 

Johnston, William J 343 North Pennsylvania. 

Johnston, Mrs. Fannie C 343 North Pennsylvania. 

Johnston, Mrs. Mary 699 North Meridian. 

Johnson, Mrs. Mary 474 North Pennsylvania. 

Johnson, William P , 209 North Pennsylvania. 

Jordan, Mrs. Mattie M 352 North Meridian. 

Jones, Mrs. Flora C 467 North Pennsylvania. 

Jenks, George W Southwest of City. 

Jenks, Mrs. Carrie E Southwest of City. 

Jenks, A'olney D 49 Alvord. 

Kirlin, James 526 North Illinois. 

Kirlin, Miss Mary J 526 North Illinois. 

Kirlin, Miss Sadie L 526 North Illinois. 

Kelley, Patrick H 828 North Illinois. 

King, Miss Martha J 294 North Tennessee. 

Kinser, Mrs. Nancy A Evansville. 

Landis, Miss C4aliriella 504 North Delaware. 

Latham, Wm. II 614 East Washington. 

Latham, Mrs. Lydia M 614 East Washington. 

Latham, Charles 614 East Wasliington. 

Latham, llenrv 614 East Washinizton. 


Latham, Miss Lillie t'il4 East Washington. 

Louden, Mrs. Lucy ] ^iO West < )hio. 

Louden, Miss Julia 1' LJO West ( •hio. 

Long, Henry C 1^02 East Market. 

Long, Mrs. Sarah C 2U2 East Market. 

Long, Mrs. Margaret -202 East Market. 

Lecklider, John T /;27 East New York. 

Lecklider, Mrs. Adelaide o27 East New York. 

Leonard, Mrs. Ellen T North Indianapolis. 

Lueders, Miss Catherine 4S4 North Mississippi. 

Lueders, Miss Louisa 4S4 North Mi.s.sissippi. 

Lueders, Miss Eliza 4S4 North Mississippi. 

Lueders, Miss (Jornealia 484 North Mississippi. 

Maguire, Douglass 78 East Ohio. 

Maguire, Mrs. Anna 7S East Ohio. 

Mitchell, James L Graml Hotel. 

Mitchell, Mrs. Clara Grand Hotel. 

Maclntire, Thomas D. and D. Institute. 

Maclntire, Mrs. Mary B I), and D. Institute. 

Maclntire, Miss Martha L....D. and D. Institute. 

Maclntire, Miss Frances D. and D. Institute. 

Macauley, Mrs Anna N 52G North Illinois. 

Miller, Mrs. Elizabeth W Bates House. 

Miller, William H. H 1S5 Broadway. 

Miller, Mrs. (iei'tude 1S5 Broadway. 

Martindale, Elijah B liCiiJ North Meridian. 

Martindale, Mrs. Emma t'lt'iij North Meridian. 

56 ROT.L OF 3fE.l[BEBS'. 

Martindale, Lynn B 6(36 North Meridian. 

Martindale, Charles 666 North Meridian. 

Martindale, Miss Susie 666 North Meridian. 

Mansur, Mrs. Jane IS East Vermont. 

Munson, Charles U 2X6 North Alaltama. 

Myers, Jesse D 23 Chamber of Commerce. 

Moritz, Miss Amelia C D. and D. Institute. 

Morris, Austin W 196 North California. 

Merwin, Denton M Rear 48 Yandes. 

Merwin, Mrs. Lydia M Rear 48 Yandes. 

McLene, Jeremiah 139 North Pennsylvania. 

McLene, Mrs. Mattie B 139 North Pennsylvania. 

McDermott, Duncan Near Crown Hill Cemetery. 

McDermott, Mrs. Mary Near Crown Hill Cemetery. 

McChesney, Mrs. Sarah J 117 West Maryland. 

McCheseney, Miss Mary J. ..117 West Maryland. 

McGinnis, Frank 

McKee, Robert S 418 North Tennessee. 

McKee, Mrs. Mary 41S North Tennessee. 

McCoy, Hamilton 390 North Delaware. 

McCoy, Mrs. Ella B 390 North Delaware. 

McCommon, Patterson Morgan County. 

Mangun, C4eorge S Morgan County. 

Mangun, Mrs, Cynthia J Morgan County. 

Milligan, Harry J 29 ('hristian Avenue. 

Morgan, Mrs. Amanda 149 North Hlinois. 


Newell, Lyne S 31 "West Washington. 

Newell, Miss Alice 3S3 Massachusetts Avenue. 

Xichol, James M 357 North Illinois. 

Noel, Mrs. Elizabeth 234 West New York. 

Noel, Wood S 3S7 North Illinois. 

Newton, Mrs. Maria .S 99 Indiana Avenue. 

Ogburn, Frank "23 East St. Joseph. 

• >gburn, Mrs. Cornelia 23 East St. Joseph. 

Petrie William 297 Indiana Avenue. 

Petrie, Mrs. Jane 297 Indiana Avenue. 

Purcell, Mrs. Atheline A 278 North Mississippi. 

Porterfield, Henry C Bridgeport. 

Parvin, Edward B 580 North Mississippi. 

Parvin, Mrs. Margaret 580 North Mississippi. 

Pearson, Charles A 141 North Mississippi. 

Patterson, Mrs. Sarah J 511 North Illinois. 

Potter, William H 10 Claypool Block. 

Price, Miss Ida E D. and I). Institute. 


Ray, James M lOTi East Xorth. 

Ray, Mrs .Sophia P IGO East North. 

Ray, Charles A Washington, I). C. 

Ray, Mrs. Laura A Washington, D. C. 

Ray, Miss Florence Washington, D. C. 

Roache, Mrs. Emily G13 North Pennsylvania. 

Root, Jerome B 511 North Illinois. 

Root, Mrs. Mary oil North Illinois. 

Root, Miss Julia A 431 North Meridian. 

Rosengarten, Mrs. Mary 152 Broadway. 

Rosengarten, Albert 219 West New York. 

Ross, Amos P Citizens Bank Building. 

Rorison, Erainard 272 North Meridian. 

Rorison, Mrs. Mary V 272 North Meridian. 

Reed, Mrs. E. Louise 570 North Delaware. 

Sharpe, Thomas 11 239 North Pennsylvania. 

Sharpe, Mrs. Elizabeth C 239 North Pennsylvania. 

Sharpe, Miss Isabella M 239 North Pennsylvania. 

Sharpe, Miss Jessie 239 North Pennsylvania. 

Sharpe, William E 239 North Pennsylvania 

Sharpe, EVienezer (^'1\ North Pennsylvania. 

Sharpe, Mrs. Frances A t'i21 North Pennsylvania. 

Sheets, Mrs. Mary S. R 103S Nortli Illinois. 

Sheets, Miss 31arv R 103S North Illinois. 


Sheets, Miss Anna II lli;is North Illinois. 

Sheets, Miss Katie R HiMs North Illinois. 

Sheets, Randolph IttoS North Illinois. 

Sheets, William H. H li.^ij College Avenue. 

Sheets, Mrs. Henrietta 2-lti < 'oUege Avenue. 

Sickels, Mrs. Alma <' S')! North East. 

Sickels, Mrs. Sophia P 351 North East. 

Sickels, Henry C M")l North East. 

Sickels, Miss Alma 351 North East. 

Skillen, Mrs. Margaret 4S North West. 

Skillen, Miss Jennie A 4<S North West. 

Skillen, Miss Nellie S 4S North West. 

Smith, Mrs. Minnie M Bates House. 

Sponable, Mrs. Mary -J 175 North Tennessee. 

Stewart, Miss Margaret F 22G North Meridian. 

Stewart, Miss Mattie C 226 North Meridian. 

Stowell, Myron A "S West Michigan. 

Stowell, Mrs. Mary A T.S West Michigan. 

Swain, ]\Irs. Mary J 41 North Illinois. 

Swain, George H 2so North Alabama. 

Swain, Mrs. Sarah J 2S0 North Alabama. 

Smart, James H 25S North Pennsylvania. 

Smart, Mrs. Mary E 25S North Pennsylvania. 


Taylor, Miss Julia A D. and D. Institute. 

Thornton, Edwin C Cor. Eleventh & College Av. 

Terrell, Miss Emma 226 North Delaware. 

Vinnedge, Joseph J) California. 

Viiinedge, Mrs. Kate California. 

Vinton, Merrick, E 748 North Meridian. 

Vinton, Mrs. Susan Y. M 7-i8 North Meridian. 

Walpole. Mrs, Esther 4lU North Illinois. 

Watson, Joseph S 2(»7 West Maryland. 

Watson, Mrs. Sarah J 207 West Maryland. 

Wilson, Miss Sallie M 308 North Tennessee. 

Wood, Alexander IS West Vermont. 

Wood, Mrs. Saliina 18 West Vermont. 

Wood, James D 18 West Vermont. 

Woollen, Mrs. Mary E 106 College Avenue. 

Whiteside, Mrs. Mary K 31 West Ohio. 

Warne, Mrs. Albina 430 North Tennessee. 

Walker, Mrs. Margaret 126 North Penn.sylvania. 

Walker, Frank B 126 North Pennsylvania. 

Walker, John C 126 North Pennsylvania. 

Walker, J. F 183 West Ohio. 

Warren George S 71 West Michigan. 

Warren, Mrs. Harriet 71 West Micliigan. 


Williams, Lewis B 144 North Illinois, 

Williams Miss Mary L 144 North Illinois. 

Wiggins, Mrs Sarah H TUT North Meridian. 

White, Augustus B 171 East Washinaton. 

Youart. John M .■)Pi4 North Tennessee. 

Youart, Mrs. Margaret K "iG4 North Tennessee. 



DEC 01